Christian education is a life long process. Saint Matthew offers a variety of educational opportunities for children, youth, and adults. Together, we ponder, discuss, learn and grow our faith, connecting to God and to each other. Current educational opportunities include:
- Sunday School – 3 yrs to high school age – September through June, Sunday from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM.
- Adult Classes and Bible Studies – September through June, on Sundays and at various times on weekdays (click here for more details). Classes are also held during the summer.
- New members – Classes are taught by the pastor two or three times each year, along with Baptismal instruction for parents and for adults who have never been baptized.
- First Communion – Instruction, provided to students in fifth grade, takes place during the Lenten Season, and is taught by Pastor Richard and the fifth grade Sunday School teacher. Fifth grade students receive their First Holy Communion on Easter Sunday.
- Catechetics – Instruction takes place on Wednesday evenings throughout the school year for youth in 7th and 8th grades. Students study Old Testament in 7th grade, New Testament in 8th grade. Students study Luther’s Small Catechism in 9th grade on alternate Sunday evenings from 7 – 8:30. Upon completion of instruction, worship and service requirements, students affirm their Baptism and participate in the Rite of Confirmation on All Saints Sunday.
- Library – In order to help members of all ages learn more about the Christian faith, Saint Matthew Church has a free lending library of Christian literature. Our library contains over 1,000 resources including books, videotapes and audiotapes.
- Saint Matthew Christian Nursery School – Well respected and very popular pre-school programs for children three to five years of age; waiting lists do exist several years in advance so please contact the School if interested as early as possible.